Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2013

SELF reflections...

Self-esteem, self-confidence, self-assured...These are all buzz words that we use to 'try' (key word) to encourage ourselves.  But what happens when those are the same words that get in our way?  What do we do when the image we have of our 'self' is not enough?  There are times, in the middle of believing in our 'self'' that we begin to let 'reality' set in.  (We call it reality - because we've been trained to, but its really vain imaginations).  When that reality sets in and we remember that we are not qualified, that we are still fat, that we are still unemployed, that we still don't have enough money, that we are still sick, that we are (you fill in the blank)...what is your 'self-esteem' doing when you are dealing with all those thoughts? 

Its sitting right there - taunting you.  Calling you a fake, a phony, a charlatan.  What do you do then?  Well, what should be done, should have been done EARLIER.  All that 'self' business should have been couched properly.  (I said couched - but coached could work here too).  See - we can't expect the faith in our 'self' to accomplish what faith in 'God' can accomplish unless it is 'couched/coached' properly! (I just realized I use a lot of exclamation points - I get excited so easily!!!! - in case you didn't realize it, that was a little ADHD for ya:)  Anyway - we put our faith in the wrong basket.  We have to put our FAITH in GOD. 

Some of you may be asking - well, I'm supposed to have high self-esteem aren't I?  YES but of course you except NOT BY YOUR 'SELF'.  The scriptures say, 'I can do all things.....' RIGHT?  WRONG!!!  It says, 'I can do all things - THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME!'  We take it out of context because we have been taught to 'believe in yourself' (how many songs written on this) and 'if you don't believe in yourself - who will' (how many books are written on this) and my favorite 'you can do anything you put your mind to' (ala 'Little engine that could').  All of this is only PARTIALLY true.  The critical component is CHRIST/GOD. 

When we 'try' to do it without Him we FAIL and we SIN! Dag...a two-fer for your face!  How do we fail?  Well, we usually quit - we say things like, 'I guess I really can't do a., b., c., I'd be happier if I just accepted that as a fact.' or we have pity parties, and invite the whole world so they can make us feel better, 'Oh...its ok - you tried.  You gave it your best.  (look at all those 'you's' and note them).  We fail when we do it in our own might and our own strength. 

So you say...ok, ok, I guess I get that...but how did I SIN?  You SINned because YOU put YOU before and/or in the place of GOD!  What?  Huh?  No I didn't!  Yeah - you did.  You said, 'I got this', I can do this' I, I, I, I, me, me, me and when things were rolling along well you were taking all the credit for it. That is SIN.  We have to get in our positions, behind God.  (Thou shall have no other gods before me. Italic emphasis mine). 

Do it today.  Dream your dream.  Its a great day for it.  Work your Faith.  Faith with out works is dead.  PLACE  your faith.  Faith in GOD not man (ourselves included).  For with God NOTHING shall be impossible!  (exclamation point MINE for emphasis!!!  I told ya'll I was excited!!!) - Luke 1:37

I'm heading to the gym - what are YOU doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment