Mahogany Chicken & Vegetables
¼ cup strong black tea
¼ cup unsweetened pineapple or orange juice
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon black pepper
Morton’s Lite salt to taste
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 small red bell pepper, diced
2 scallions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1. Combine wet ingredients (tea, juice, soy sauce and honey) in a 2-cup glass measure; set aside.
2. Combine cinnamon, ginger, pepper and salt in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture evenly on both sides of chicken breasts.
3. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, reduce heat to medium and cook until golden outside and no longer pink inside, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add bell pepper, scallions and garlic; sauté for 30 seconds. Add the reserved rice wine-tea mixture. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, 2 to 4 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to low and return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Simmer gently, spooning the sauce over the chicken, until heated through, about 1 minute.
6. Slice the chicken into thin diagonal slices and fan on plates. Spoon the sauce and vegetables over jasmine rice.