Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

DOING IT AND DOING IT AND DOING IT WELL

1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

We've heard 'Keep on doing what you always done and you'll keep on getting what you've always got' usually related to negative results. Making the same mistake over and over again. Even to the point that we almost become addicted to those choices, for example, a 'type' of guy (married, possessive, abusive, lazy, 'bad boy') but somehow we keep choosing those kinds of guys. Often because there is something in us that is broken. We choose amiss because we don't see our own value. So odd that we could keep making this type of choice over and over and over again. Some of us even make a lifestyle out of it.

But the opposite is also true, if you do something that nets positive results and you see yourself getting positive results and you keep doing it, you will keep getting positive results! GREAT right? So why do we stop? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Right? Oh, yeah...its 'hard'. It doesn't 'feel good' (right away). We are a people so driven by 'feelings' its a wonder we can get anything done at all. If I have to 'feel' a certain way before I can take action, I might not EVER do anything.

I don't often 'feel' like exercising or cooking or cleaning or even working. But I find myself prioritizing my life into things that if they don't 'feel' good they get lower and lower on the totem pole. I work because I 'like' getting a paycheck. There are times when I don't 'like' work, but since that 'feeling' is outweighed by the 'paycheck' feeling I keep working. I exercise because I 'like' getting fit. There are times that my 'feelings' about exercise (which I don't like) can start to get bigger than the 'fit' that I do like and I fall off. But when I stop letting how I 'feel' about it drive I just DO IT. Set the alarm, reminder, whatever...get up and DO IT. I don't ruminate over whether or not I 'feel' like it today. Its my responsibility to the temple that God has given me to be a good steward over it. What's really great about that is no matter HOW I feel about it going in, I always have the same feeling at the end....accomplished. Good, bad or indifferent - its DONE!

Cane Creek Update:
We have all 6 CABINS ON THE CREEK!! Ladies there are 3 spots left!! The itinerary is almost complete and I'm EXCITED about this Back to Eden Retreat! (I even have to stop calling it a 'charlotte' retreat because we have folks coming from ALL over now - GA, DE, IL represent!)

Location: Cane Creek - Union County, NC
Date: October 15-17th, 2010
Cost: $55/per person (for the weekend - includes room and board)

Deposit: $20/per person - due 9/24/10 (paypal thatchl@yahoo.com or call me 704-493-2035 to pick it up or drop it in the mail)

Balance Due: 10/5/10 - To give me time to purchase food and essentials

Note: Space is Limited. Cabin 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, are at capacity ALL READY. Cabin 6 has 3 spots left...Look at God!!

Some info from the tentative itinerary:
Lakeside sunrise/sunset, hiking, miniture golf, paddle boats, prayer/praise/worship, fellowship, movie and of course - food.

Recipe for the day:
Shrimp Gumbo
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 green chili pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups clam juice
3 bay leaves
1/2 lemon, juiced
Morton Lite Salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
cooked white rice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Put the flour on a baking sheet and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flour is a dark nut brown. In a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, pepper, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, crushing them through your fingers into the pot with their juices and cook for another 5 minutes. Gradually sift the browned flour in the pot until the vegetables are coated, cook for 2 minutes more. Slowly pour in the stock and clam juice, stirring constantly. Add the bay leaves, lemon juice, lite salt, cayenne, thyme. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
Add the shrimp, green onions and parsley; cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes. Season the gumbo, to taste. Serve with rice.

This recipe calls for a little tiny bit of 'off plan' ingredients (oil/flour) but its not something you have everyday so enjoy! (hint, hint...this might be one of the dishes on our fellowship)

Prayer: Lord, help me to be steadfast and unmovable. Remind me that I am more than a conqueror. Help me to walk after your precepts and order my steps. God I can't do it with out you. Everytime I try I fail. Help me to stop leaving you out of my struggles when that is exactly where you want to be. Continue to bless each household and cover our day with your grace. In Jesus Name, amen!

Special prayer: Lord, continue to restore Kareem to wholeness. We know that you are the master designer the great I AM the true and the living God. We thank you for already showing yourself MIGHTY! We thank you for considering him and waking him up to see yet another day. OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment