Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Its a thin line between love and CAKE!

2 Samuel 13: 1 And it came to pass after this, that Absalom the son of David had a fair sister, whose name was Tamar; and Amnon the son of David loved her. 2 And Amnon was so vexed, that he fell sick for his sister Tamar; for she was a virgin; and Amnon thought it hard for him to do any thing to her

 6 So Amnon lay down, and made himself sick: and when the king was come to see him, Amnon said unto the king, I pray thee, let Tamar my sister come, and make me a couple of cakes in my sight, that I may eat at her hand.

 11 And when she had brought them unto him to eat, he took hold of her, and said unto her, Come lie with me, my sister. 12 And she answered him, Nay, my brother, do not force me; for no such thing ought to be done in Israel: do not thou this folly.

14 Howbeit he would not hearken unto her voice: but, being stronger than she, forced her, and lay with her. 15 Then Amnon hated her exceedingly; so that the hatred wherewith he hated her was greater than the love wherewith he had loved her. And Amnon said unto her, Arise, be gone.

Not the (bleeping) cake again!!
So, as I am reading this, I'm real curious as to how THIS lesson will help me with my 'cake' issues.  So I say - ok God.  SMH (shaking my head).  Do it. 

Tamar is the 'cake' in my story.  Now all of my food issues have absolutely NOTHING to do with food - understand that I am fully aware of that in my life now.  NOTHING.  The food is and has always been symbolic, unfortunately - the symbolism that it represents still has calories in it, so the pounds - yeah...notsomuch symbolic.  I see 'Tamar' (my cake) and instead of being content with all that I have (I'm Amnon - I'm a child of the king) and all that I stand to inherit/gain (um, did I say...I AM A CHILD OF THE KING - the first born child of the king!  I will inherit the throne - I am a child of God I shall inherit the earth!).

I, instead focus on what I don't have - TAMAR (cake).  I allow my focus to over come me OVER TAKE me.  TAMAR is all I can think about.  The love I have for 'her' is so powerful that I can't even focus, I can't even think!  I gotta have her!!! 

So of course the spiritual war that is going on inside of me collides with one of the principalities out there, just ready to 'help me out' - my 'friend' who shows me, you can have 'Tamar' just do this, this and this (read it for yourself in vs. 3).  So, instead of casting down those vain imaginations...I creep.  I creep off and do the deed.  I have me some TAMAR. oooooh...I thought she was gonna be soooooo good, I couldn't wait!!  (and maybe she was for a moment - uh, in case your TAMAR ain't cake (or is cake) - know that it could be GOOD for... a moment).

Then the reality of my actions come to light.  The lusty haze is broken.  My vision is clearer.  And because I know what I have done is SOOO wrong that I don't want any association with it - I begin to DESPISE the very thing that I was in love/lust with just minutes ago!  Turning all my anger, all my hatred, all my feeling of failure and despair on that CAKE!!  I mean on TAMAR!  Its her fault.  Why did she have to be so mmmmm....good!

NO!  ITS MY FAULT!  I have to own and take responsibility for my own actions in this world.  I had opportunities to make better decisions just like Amnon did.  My 'cake' has evolved over time from men (and/or women), money, drugs...etc (fill in your own blank).  But it has always really been the same.  A void.  An empty place that no matter how I try can only be filled WITH GOD!! 

How you fill the void with God will vary from person to person but trying to fill it with anything else will prove as fruitless as trying to fill the Grand Canyon with a bucket of sand.  It ain't gonna happen.  Fill it with worship, fill it with 'work-ship', give yourself to the Lord of your own gifts and talents.  He'll show you.  Just invite Him in.

Congratulations Time!! 
Michelle Cromwell (SN: she was the one who showed us how she got her 'butt' in two weeks - LOL) She uploaded her first Youtube Video!  This girl can SANG!  and she is on the come - up!  Check out her live performance at Club Prevue (Charlotte, NC)  With Christ ALL things are possible - A cutie tootie bootie and a singing career - you just can't beat God giving!

Judy D. - For the love of Christ and the power of the sisterhood!!  (we don't need no travelling pants - we have the powere of the HOLY SPIRIT)  Thank you!!  Love you!!  Keep being you!!!

Sherry T. - For the daily prayers and the love that you share with me every day.  Thank you for being so transparent in Christ.  Thanks for letting God use you and show 'us' how awesome He is!

K.W. - For standing fast in the midst of your storms knowing that God is able and that you are not in ANY of this alone.  You are my family.  I'm so proud of your PRESS, your PUSH, your perseverence.  Its ok to be human.  God hears you and pity every groan.  I LOVE YOU!!! and we're walking!!

Recipe:  Diet Coke Chicken

Prayer:  Lord, help us to regain the authority over our minds.  Help us to make decisions that honor you and give you glory.  Remind us daily that you are the source of our strength and the strength of our lives.  Bless each of us each day to wake up, DECIDE who we shall serve and WALK in VICTORY!!

In Jesus Name!!  AMEN.

Special prayers:  Lord, thank you for getting my mom safely to NY.  Now order her steps and guide her feet.  Keep her from harm and cover her mind Lord.  Let her stay focused on you and trust you completely.  Give her peace. 

Day 4:Pray that your husband will grow in leadership skills in your relationship—protecting and
providing for you. Pray that he will lead you wisely and love you sacrificially, so that God will
be glorified in your marriage. (Eph. 5:25-29; Col. 3:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment